Now that summer has arrived my favorite quick-cooking grain to eat is quinoa. We use seasonal summer produce to make this salad nutrient-packed! This Mexican-inspired quinoa dish uses both regular and red quinoa for added texture and beauty. If you can’t find red quinoa, you can use all white.
Fiesta Quinoa Salad
Makes 5 to 7 servings
• 1 cup white quinoa, plus 1/4 cup red quinoa, washed and drained
• 1 cup fresh corn, off the cob
• 2 cups filtered water
• Pinch sea salt
• 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1/2 cup finely diced yellow pepper (or another color bell pepper)
• 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
• 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
• 2 teaspoons lime zest
• 2 tablespoons lime juice
• 2 teaspoons cumin
• 2 teaspoons chili powder
• 2 tablespoons tamari
• 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
Place quinoa, corn, and water in a medium saucepan with pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
Simmer covered for 20 minutes over low flame.
Meanwhile, whisk the dressing ingredients in a small bowl until well combined.
Fluff quinoa with fork, place in medium bowl, and stir in the black beans, veggies, dressing, and cilantro.
Season with sea salt if needed. Serve warm or cold the next day.