- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 5 cups of vegetable broth (homemade or low sodium)
- 4 15 ounce cans of black beans, low sodium (or 7 cups cooked) undrained
- 1 15 ounce can of whole sweet corn, drained (salt free, unsweetened)
- 1 14.5 ounce can of fire roasted tomatoes, diced (I use Muir Glen Organics)
- 4 teaspoons roasted cumin (or regular cumin)
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Herbamare or salt (to taste)
- Juice of 1 small lime
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped to garnish
This is one of my family’s favorite soup recipes. I get requests for it all the time. Cooking your own black beans and vegetable broth makes this soup even more delicious.
In a large pot, sauté the onion, celery, carrots and garlic in 1 cup of vegetable broth over medium heat for 6-7 minutes. Add chipotle chili powder, roasted cumin, and black pepper and cook for another minute or two. Stir in the remaining vegetable broth, 4 cups (or 2.5 cans) of beans, and sweet corn. Turn to high heat and bring to a boil.
Add remaining 3 cups (or 1.5 cans) of beans and crushed tomatoes to a Vitamix or blender and process until smooth. Stir into soup when boiling, reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 15 minutes until beans and vegetables are done to your desired tenderness.
Taste test. Add Herbamare or salt to taste and lime juice.
Serve in bowls and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.
Find this Mexican recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
Don't want to cook? Try our Forks Fresh Meals delivery service and receive 5, 10, or 15 healthy and delightful meals at your doorstep every week.
Veronica Grace is a chef and photographer. She is passionate about teaching people how to make delicious oil-free vegan recipes from scratch. Visit LowFatVeganChef.com to find Veronica’s self-published ebooks and keep up to date with her latest recipes.View all contributions by Veronica Grace