I wanted to spice things up a bit from my usual lunches, and I was pleasantly surprised by how easily it was done. By simply playing around with ingredients that I usually have on hand in the kitchen, this masterpiece was born. You get comfort from the pasta and a light and fresh touch from the greens and avocado. How had I never thought of pairing these three before?! They are a trio made in heaven.
From Sweet Simple Vegan
By Jasmine Briones,
- 12 ounces penne (or pasta of choice)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- 1¼ cup vegetable broth, divided
- 1 jar (18.3-ounce) crushed tomatoes (about 2¼ cups)
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain flour, or as needed to thicken
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ½ to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon fine pink Himalayan salt
- ¼ tsp paprika
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Fresh black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup cilantro
- Fresh greens (I like a mix of baby kale, spinach, and arugula)
- Avocado, chopped
- Nutritional yeast
- Cook pasta according to package directions. While pasta is cooking, prepare the sauce.
- Place the garlic, onion, celery, and bell pepper in a medium pot with ⅓ cup water and ¼ cup broth. Cook over medium until the onion and celery are translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Add 1 cup broth, tomatoes, lentils, nutritional yeast, flour, chili powder, cumin, salt, paprika, cayenne, and black pepper. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Once boiling, turn to low and cook 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in pasta and cilantro.
- Serve with fresh greens and top with avocado and a sprinkle of paprika and nutritional yeast.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
7 Keys to Success on a Healthy Vegan Diet
Getting started on a plant-based diet or looking to refresh your eating habits? Download our practical guide to long-term success.