How do you make a creamy potato salad when using whole foods? Simple! Mash up a fresh ripe avocado, and substitute it for the vegan mayo (not an ingredient I use in my kitchen!) I like to season this recipe to give it an extra kick, so it’s truly a dish you can enjoy on its own or paired with a light soup or wrap. Get ready to try the best whole-food potato salad ever!
1. Wash the potatoes and cut out any bad spots or eyes. Steam gently for about 10 minutes, until just fork tender through the center. Immediately run under cold water to prevent further cooking.
2. For best results, refrigerate the cooked potatoes for about an hour. (This ensures they don’t fall apart when slicing.)
3. Quarter the potatoes and peel if desired. Place in a large bowl.
4. Peel and mash the avocado in a small bowl. Add the lemon juice, mustard, paprika, Herbamare or salt, and maple syrup (if using), and stir into the avocado to create a dressing. Season with pepper to taste.
5. Add the dill, green onion, celery, onion, and avocado dressing to the potatoes. Toss gently until everything is coated. Taste test and adjust seasonings if desired.
6. Serve the same day, or refrigerate and serve the next day, (as the avocado darkens and breaks down quickly).