Caldo Verde is a Portuguese soup extravaganza of puréed potatoes with simmered kale, spiked with garlic and made hearty with red beans. In Portugal, caldo verde is typically consumed during Portuguese celebrations, such as weddings, birthdays, and popular celebrations—but I find this to be a hearty soup recipe that can be made and enjoyed year round.
1. Bring the water to a simmer.
2. Add the onion, potatoes, salt, pepper, garlic, and crushed red pepper, if desired. Simmer for 10 minutes, until the potatoes are soft.
3. Blend the ingredients with an immersion blender (or in a standard blender and then return to the pot).
4. Return the soup to a simmer. Add the kale to the simmering soup, cooking it for about 5 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat, then immediately stir in the red beans.