The fresh thyme and basil add a fresh and vibrant taste to this hummus. The pureed cannellini beans are creamy white, which together with the green flecks from the fresh herbs, make this hummus pretty to look at… and scrumptious to eat!
White Bean Hummus with Fresh Thyme and Basil
From Eat, Drink & Be Vegan
- 2 cups cooked cannellini (white kidney) beans (drained and rinsed if using canned beans)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 small to medium clove garlic, sliced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2½-3 teaspoons fresh thyme, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil, torn or roughly chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons water (may not need, just to thin dip as desired)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a food processor, combine all ingredients except water, thyme, and basil.
Purée until smooth, gradually adding water as desired to thin dip and scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
Add thyme and basil and purée briefly to incorporate ingredients.
You can make this dip look very elegant. Try piping the dip into mini-bell peppers (cut in half), halved grape tomatoes, or endive leaves. Alternatively, spread it thinly on slices of bread with a layer of “shaved” cucumber (using a vegetable peeler to remove thin strips lengthwise off cucumber, before reaching the seedy portion). Cut crusts off bread and slice in strips or cut in shapes with cookie cutters.