Talk about easy! This Vegetable Quinoa Salad is great to make at the beginning of a busy week to take to work or school. You can serve it plain, over fresh salad greens, or in a tortilla for a healthy, delicious meal. The Herbed Hemp Dressing is not required for this recipe, but adds a nice punch of flavor.
Vegetable Quinoa Salad
• 1 cup brown lentils
• 1 cup quinoa
• 2 bell peppers
• 1 Fuji apple
• 1/3 cup pine nuts
• 1 red onion
• 1 bunch, flat-leaf parsley
• 1 bunch, fresh mint
• 2 lemons
1. Pick over lentils to remove any debris. Rinse and drain. Cook according to package instructions. Set aside to cool.
2. Rinse quinoa and cook according to package instructions. Set aside to cool.
3. Chop bell peppers and apple into bite-sized pieces and place in a large mixing bowl.
4. Toast pine nuts in a dry skillet over low heat until they become fragrant. Set aside to cool.
5. Mince onion and add to mixing bowl. Chop parsley and mint and add to bowl.
6. Add the cooked lentils and quinoa to the mixing bowl and stir to combine. Stir in the pine nuts.
7. Juice the lemons and pour over the entire mixture. Serve the salad warm or cold, topped with Herbed Hemp Dressing, if desired.
Herbed Hemp Dressing
Makes 1½ cups
• ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
• 1/3 cup coconut vinegar
• 1/3 cup hemp seeds
• 1 bunch herbs
• 1 tablespoon onion flakes