- 8 cups water or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 leeks (approximately 6 ounces), thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 large sweet potatoes (2 pounds), peeled and uniformly cubed
- 2 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound rainbow chard, leaves and stems, chopped (see notes)
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon (about ¼ cup juice)
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato powder (see notes)
- Chopped Italian parsley, for garnish (optional)
When the weather starts getting cooler, all I can think about is soup. This one can be ready in less than 20 minutes if you have all of the ingredients on hand. It’s versatile, too: you can use any kind of potato, bean, or green, or you can even substitute butternut squash or white potatoes for the sweet potatoes. If you are not used to salt-free fare, low-sodium miso can be a great way to brighten up the flavor!
1. Bring the water or broth to a boil in a large soup pot.
2. Reduce heat to medium and add the leeks. Cook for about 8 minutes until soft.
3. Add the diced sweet potatoes and cook for 8 to 10 minutes more, until tender.
4. Add the beans and cook for 2 minutes more.
5. Remove the pot from the heat, and stir in the chard so that it wilts.
6. Stir in the lemon juice and sun-dried tomato powder. Sprinkle with chopped Italian parsley if desired, and garnish with a fresh lemon twist and a sprinkling of lemon zest.
With the bright-orange sweet potatoes, white beans, and rainbow-colored chard, this is a very pretty soup. But if you can’t find rainbow chard, feel free to substitute green chard, collards, spinach, or kale.
Some local stores and websites carry salt-free sun-dried tomato powder. Or you can make your own at home, by grinding store-bought or homemade no-salt, no-oil sun-dried tomatoes in your blender or coffee grinder.
Don't want to cook? Try our Forks Fresh Meals delivery service and receive 5, 10, or 15 healthy and delightful meals at your doorstep every week.
Chef AJ is a culinary instructor in Los Angeles who has followed a plant-based diet for more than thirty years. She is author of Unprocessed: How to Achieve Vibrant Health and Your Ideal Weight. Chef AJ’s passion is teaching people how to incorporate more fresh fruits and vegetables in their diet in ways that are easy, delicious, and fun. Visit EatUnprocessed.com for updates from Chef AJ.View all contributions by Chef AJ