This sweet and savory soup could almost be a dessert soup, as ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon are spices you find in many sweet potato and pumpkin pie recipes. The onion and garlic temper the sweetness, however, with a savory boost in this comforting recipe.
Place the onion in a large saucepan and sauté over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time to keep the onion from sticking to the pan.
Add the garlic, ginger, thyme, nutmeg, and cinnamon and cook for 1 minute.
Add the sweet potatoes, vegetable stock, and orange zest and juice and bring the pot to a boil over high heat.
Reduce the heat to medium and cook, covered, for 25 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
Puree the soup using an immersion blender or in batches in a blender with a tight fitting lid, covered with a towel. Return the soup to the pot and add the almond milk. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until heated through, and season with salt and pepper.
Find this recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 cups Vegetable Stock, or low-sodium vegetable broth
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1½ cups unsweetened plain almond milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious, plant-based meals the whole family will enjoy.