This is my family’s favorite split pea soup. My mom has been making this version for over 25 years. This tastes even better the next day and is great over baked potatoes or brown rice.
1. Place split peas, lima beans, barley and stock in a large pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat and add bay leaves and celery seed. Cover and cook over low heat for 1 hour.
2. Add remaining ingredients and cook for 1 additional hour.
If you want to make this without the lima beans, increase the split peas to 2 cups and reduce the initial cooking time to ½ hour. This recipe freezes and reheats well. For a delicious smoky flavor, try adding a couple drops of liquid smoke to the soup about 15 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
Find this recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
- 1 cup green split peas
- ½ cup dried baby lima beans
- ¼ cup barley
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 potatoes, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon white pepper
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
Become a great plant-based cook. The FOK Online Cooking Course teaches you how to make delicious meals anytime. Features top chef instructors, delicious recipes, and more!
Join the cooking course now.