• 1½ cups black-eyed peas (dry)
• 1 can tomato paste (6 ounces)
• 1 teaspoon ground sage
• 2 teaspoons maple syrup
• 4 teaspoons crushed onions
• 1 medium onion (yellow or white)
• 8-10 bella or white button mushrooms, sliced
• soy or tamari sauce
• 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
• sea salt
• cayenne (optional)
Soak the black-eyed peas in double the water for 12-24 hours. Drain and rinse the beans. Bring the beans to a boil in 3 cups of water. Immediately add tomato paste, sage, maple syrup and crushed onions. Reduce to simmer, half covered for at least 35 minutes and check for desired tenderness at that point.
In a grilling pan or wok: slice the onions in circles and grill until golden while tossing every 2 minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms and keep tossing while sprinkling soy sauce as desired.
Check the beans for desired tenderness and add parsely flakes, sea salt and cayenne as desired. Serve the beans topped with the grilled mushrooms and onions.